8/1/14

Simple Quick Meat Sauce from The North End Italian Cookbook

My dear friend Amanda, made this for me during our visit to Connecticut. It was so incredibly delicious over zucchini noodles.  I herby declare it my favorite meal of the summer. (Well, the salmon she made the next night was a close rival:)

Yield:: 6 Cups

1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
1 pound ground meat (the recipe calls for 1/2 pound beef, 1/2 pound pork, but it can also be made with ground turkey)
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves chopped
pinch of dried red pepper flakes, basil and mint
1 28-ounce can crushed or whole plum tomatoes
Kalamata olives, pine nuts, fresh mozzarella - anything else you want to garnish it with

salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil.  When it’s hot add the ground meat and start to brown it, stirring with a wooden spoon.  When partly browned, add the onion, garlic, and seasonings (I don’t use the red pepper flakes because my kids won’t eat it). Continue browning until the meat is a little crisp on the bottom of the pan.

 Add the can of tomatoes and mix until the sauce starts bubbling.  At this point lower the heat and add additional salt and pepper to taste, stirring well.  (you can add a teaspoon of sugar (or possibly honey? to take the edge of the acidity)

 Sprinkle in an additional pinch of basic, red pepper flakes, and mint. (I always use fresh basil chopped if I have it, and I like the addition of dried mint. Gives it a touch of sweetness.  I haven’t ever tried using fresh mint).  Let the sauce simmer, covered on low heat for about 20 minutes, and stir it often.

 Serve over a pound of cooked pasta, or use it as a topping for eggplant.  If the sauce is too thick, add a little of the water from the cooked pasta to thin.


ENJOY!

No comments: